The File Downloader (added Jan, 2005) can be used to download and unzip past performance and results files directly from the Bris and TSN websites. The File Downloader has a second screen, available via the Folder Icon. This screen provides functionality for both unzipping and loading past performance data files.
The File Downloader can be reached in the following manner:
1. From the Main Module, click LOAD RACE CARDS
2. From the Card Loader, click FILE DOWNLOADER
Screen One of the File Downloader is a web browser and is used to download files directly from Bris or TSN (be careful that you connect to the right page.) There is a checkbox labeled Automatically Unzip Downloaded Files. The default setting when you open the File Downloader is that this box is checked. As you download files and if you save them to your Default Data Folder, the File Downloader keeps each file name in memory. When you exit the File Downloader, each file downloaded during the current session is sent to the bulk unzipper.
The File Downloader has the ability upon start up to communicate with Windows and size itself according to the current screen resolution. On some machines, most notably those with AMD K-6 chips instead of Intel Pentium chips, Windows is unable to interface properly with the graphics card and is therefore incapable of retrieving the correct screen resolution. Clicking the Resize button will cause the File Downloader to size itself as if it were running in an 800 x 600 screen resolution environment. If you are unable to view the entire screen area of the File Downloader give the Resize button a click.
The File Downloader has a second (hidden) screen that provides an
interface for finding, unzipping, and loading data files at will.
Getting to Screen Two of the File Downloader
1. From the Main Module, click FILE DOWNLOADER
2. On screen one of the File Downloader click the FOLDER ICON (located in the upper left of the screen.) This will open up the File Downloader's second screen.
This screen has a Folder Nav Tool that will let you point to any folder on your system.
The File Windows
Screen Two of the File Downloader has a ZIP FILE WINDOW and a DATA FILE WINDOW. The behavior of both windows is essentially the same. In this first section, I'll focus on the ZIP FILE WINDOW and unzipping files.
Unzipping Files with Screen Two in the File Downloader
To unzip files in bulk, follow these steps:
1. Use the Folder Nav Tool
to point to a target folder.
2. Click the FUNNEL ICON at the top of the Zip File Window. This will bring up a FILTER TOOL. Use the Filter Tool to bring desired zip files into the Zip File Window.
You can filter by date, track, and file extension. To filter by track key in the Bris/TSN 3 character track code. Itís the first 3 characters of the filename (AQU for example.) Then make your filter selections for date and file extension. When you are satisfied with your filtering selections hit the APPLY button. This will populate the Zip File Window with all of the zip files on the target folder that match the date, track, and file extension specs you selected.
3. Highlight those zip files that you wish to unzip. You can do this by CTRL-Clicking. You can do this with the SHIFT-Down Arrow Key. Or you can do this by Dragging Your Mouse Cursor over the top of individual file names.
4. Send highlighted zip files to the bulk unzipper: Click the UNZIP FILES Icon. It's located just to the left of the Funnel Icon at the top of the Zip File Window. All of the highlighted files will be sent to the unzipper at once and extracted onto the target folder being pointed to by the Folder Nav Tool.
You can also unzip individual files by double clicking individual file names in the Zip Files Window.
Itís actually pretty easy. Give it a try.
The bulk unzipper can also be used to automatically unzip any files you download and save to your Default Data Folder with the JCapper File Downloader.
Loading Race Card Files
Screen Two of the File Downloader provides enhanced functionality for loading race card files. Here is an overview of the steps to follow to use Screen Two of the File Downloader to load race card files:
The Data Files Window
The Data Files Window is found to the right of the Zip Files Window. It can be populated with desired Data Files using the Filter Tool in exactly the same way as the Zip Files Window.
Click the FUNNEL ICON at the top of the Data
Files Window. This will bring up a FILTER TOOL. Use the Filter Tool to set
exact specs for populating the Data Files Window.
The Funnel Icon is shown circled in blue in this screenshot: FileDownloaderScreenTwo.jpg
You can filter by date, track, and file extension. To filter by track key in the Bris/TSN 3 character track code. Itís the first 3 characters of the filename (AQU for example.) Then make your filter selections for date and file extension. When you are satisfied with your filtering selections hit the APPLY button. This will populate the Zip File Window with all unzipped data files on the target folder that match the date, track, and file extension specs you selected. If you donít see a data file that youíre sure youíve downloaded, chances are you havenít unzipped it yet.
The Filter Tool is shown in this screenshot: FilterTool.jpg
Highlight those data files in the Data
Files Window that you wish to load. You can do this by CTRL-Clicking individual
file names. You can do this with the SHIFT-Down Arrow Key. Or you can do this
by Dragging Your Mouse Cursor over the top of individual file names. You can
de-select individual highlighted files by CTRL-Clicking them.
Click the LOAD FILES ICON - all highlighted Data Files in the Data Files Window will be loaded into the program at once. The LOAD FILES ICON is located just to the left of the Funnel Icon at the top of the Data Files Window.†
The Load Files Icon is shown circled in red in this screenshot: FileDownloaderScreenTwo.jpg
Loading Data Files - A Step By Step Example
Suppose you want to load selected .DRF files for one specific date into the program. Hereís how to do it step by step:
1. On the Main Module click the File Downloader button.
2. On Screen One of the File Downloader click the Folder Icon. This gets you into Screen Two of the File Downloader.
3. On Screen Two of the File Downloader select Bris DRF Single Format Data File (*.drf) as your file type from the File Type drop down located underneath the two file windows.
4. Click the Funnel Icon located above the Data Files Window. This will bring up the Filter Tool. The Funnel Icon is circled in blue in this screenshot: [url http://www.JCapper.com/HelpDocs/FileDownloaderScreenTwo.jpg
5. In the Filter Tool use the drop downs for day and month to set a specific date. If you forgot to set the file type to .DRF in step 3 above you can also that here by using the Filter Tool's file type drop down. Here is a screenshot of the Filter Tool:
6. Click the Filter Tool's APPLY button. This will close the Filter Tool and cause the Data Files window to populate with only those files that match the criteria you specified in the Filter Tool... Not hundreds of files... just the ones for the one day you specified in the Filter Tool. In this screenshot I've used the Filter Tool to populate the Data Files Window with .DRF files for 10-04:
7. In the Data Files Window highlight only those files that you want to load. CTRL-Click them... Shift-DWN-Arrow them... drag your mouse cursor over them... however you decide to do it just highlight them.
8. Click the Load Selected Race Card Files Icon. It's the rectangle shaped image just to the left of the funnel icon at the top of the Data Files Window. It's circled in red in the screenshot here: http://www.JCapper.com/HelpDocs/FileDownloaderScreenTwo.jpg
9. Optional - if you only want to load a very small number of files into the program, after using the Filter Tool to populate the Data Files Window with just the files you want - rather than highlighting them and clicking the Load Selected Race Card Files Icon (that rectangle shaped image just to the left of the funnel icon at the top of the Data Files Window) - as an option you can just double click individual file names to load them into the program one at a time.
The Clear Button
To clear all loaded card files from the program click the Clear Button and answer yes at the prompt. You will also be prompted to Clear Scratches. As pointed out elsewhere in the Help Docs it is always a best practice to clear the prior daysí scratches at the start of each new race day.
The Find and Load Button
To find and load all race card files of the file extension type selected in the File Type Drop Down, click the Find and Load Button and key in the date in the mo-dd-yyyy format and click OK. All unzipped data files of the type selected in the File Type Drop Down will be loaded into the program.
-end section on File Downloader